- CARSETHORN, a village, in the parish of Kirkbean, stewartry of Kirkcudbright, 13 miles (S.) from Dumfries; containing 157 inhabitants. This place is situated on the shore of the bay of Carse, on the eastern coast of the parish, and is inhabited chiefly by persons engaged in the coasting trade, in which three small vessels are employed, averaging about fifty tons' burthen. The exports are mostly grain and other agricultural produce, to Glasgow, Cumberland, and Liverpool, and the imports are principally coal. A pier of wood has recently been constructed, for the accommodation of the farmers in the neighbourhood, in sending their live stock by the Liverpool steam-packet, which makes two voyages weekly during the summer, and one during the winter. The bay affords good anchorage to vessels in unfavourable weather; many from Dumfries, in contrary winds, take shelter, and others, bound for that port, wait in the bay for the spring tides.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kirkbean — KIRKBEAN, a parish, in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright, 12 miles (S.) from Dumfries; containing, with the villages of Carsethorn and Preston Mill, 891 inhabitants, of whom 91 are in the village of Kirkbean. This parish, of which the name, in… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland